Friday, September 4, 2009

Why Choose Me






This part of the competition is strictly a #s game... and I am trailing the leaders in 6th place at the moment.

So I thought I'd take a moment to write about why I feel so passionately for this job. Yes, New Zealand is known for its spectacular scenery, amazing hiking and snowsports, and adventure sports galore...

But it is the people who truly give a place its character. There is a rich culture to dive into and experience in Aotearoa, the Polynesian culture of the Maori people. It is based on family, respect, and stewardship. It means that your home is always open for guests, and the gifts that we all have for each other if we take the time to hear each other's stories and connect. It means taking care of each other, and of the land that will take care of us.

This competition is an avenue for me to contribute. If I win the job of exploring New Zealand for 3 months, in addition to exploring and enjoying all the adventures that EntirelyKiwi has in store, I want to incorporate the cultural and Maori perspective in my blogging and reporting. Here's why:

I am born and raised in Hawaii, but am not of Polynesian decent. However, my experience of growing up with Hawaiian culture is all I know ...I dont know much about the Irish, Scottish, or Filipino cultures that comprise my ethnicity, so I feel closest to Hawaiian culture - especially, the Aloha Spirit. Our hearts and homes are always open to family, and once we are friends then you become extended family... I don't know any other way.

I've spent the last 10 years living in Hawaii, though living in an office in pursuit of the almighty dollar... missing out on so much of the beauty that surrounded me each day. I am blessed that I've been given the opportunity to re-evaluate my life's priorities, and explore how best to pursue my passion & creativity to live a happy & fulfilled life of creation and contribution.

MY FIRST PADDLE IN A 6-MAN OUTRIGGER CANOE:
AN 'EASY 10 KM CRUISE' IN LAKE ROTO ITI

So I have to come halfway around the world to learn more about the Polynesian culture I grew up around. I had to go all the way to Rotorua for my first WAKAAMA [outrigger canoe paddling] experience! Go figure...

My hope is that by sharing my own journeys, explorations and education about Maori culture, I will help to bridge that gap of understanding between western and indigenous cultures.

All this talk of Eco-Tourisn and Sustainability and Transition Towns and Permaculture and Slow Movements... it's all there in indigenous culture. The modern world is finally realizing that basic fundamentals like being good stewards of the resources we are blessed with, looking after your neighbours, and connecting with our fellow human beings are what is truly important - there is so much to learn from indigenous cultures.

Please take a moment to click FOLLOW, and come along with me on this journey of adventure and discovery!

WAKAAMA RACE AT TAURANGA

# # #

3 comments:

  1. Your getting there
    http://pinacoladakisses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. its great to see you in such a light. I miss that about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Ivonne, thanks so much for the comment. i miss you too, we had a great team there for a while and I hope that we can collaborate on something awesome again sometime... =)

    ReplyDelete