Students were given final design tasks today, 3 different client profiles at 3 separate sites:
Client profile 1, Bastama School Gardens (semi-fictitious):
- 600 students, ages 6-18 (grade levels 6-12)
- Heard about greenhouses, but not sure where to start / how to use / build / operate
- Not sure where best site for garden plot would be
- Want to integrate gardening into learning cirriculummn, including science, ecology, maths, geography, and history
- Would like students to be able to taste what they grow, from plot to plate
- Would like more trees on-site to create areas for students and parents to relax & enjoy
- Would like to include eggs in school lunches to boost children's nutrition
- Create school garden that is productive, functional and educational.
- Incorporate chickens & a greenhouse into your design.
- Find ways to link to link the garden design to the classroom & cirriculum.
Photo: Dr Beket's design team at Bastama School.
Photo:The design team interviews Superintendent Bolathan and School Manager Bahithan.
Photo:Children play football in the dusty schoolyard.
Photo:Dr Beket and Superintendent Bolathan put their heads together to evaluate a potential site for a combined greenhouse and chicken run.
Photo:School gymnasium with clasrooms in background. Schoolyard soils are bare and rocky. Dr Beket's Tree Project can be seen to the right.
Photo: Design team and heads of Bastama School (L to R): Janat (NGO), Doc (ADRA), Dr Beket, Superintendent Bolathan, School Manager Bahithan, 10th Grader (and translator) Moldit, and Guliya (World Vision).