Students were grouped into three teams and assigned a simple design task for the site we located during our scouting / resource inventory day. The site selected was chosen for its similarities to the typical site ADRA staff will be working with when implementing SEAL project deliverables over the next 4 years.
Photo: Students survey the site for their design briefs.
Three different (fictitious but realistic) client profiles were created for the site so that designs would vary according to the needs & objectives of the each:
- Single female, head of household (36 years old)
- 4 children, all under 14 years old
- Works whenever and however she can find work
- Passive solar greenhouse beneficiary (ADRA will finance design & construction this Spring / Summer)
- Children enjoy eating eggs & apples
- Currently food insecure, especially during Spring months
- Married male, head of household (30 years old)
- Wife + 2 young children
- Has good job which keeps him away from home at least 2 weeks / month
- Keeps 2 goats for milking
- Owns vegetable plot in the countryside with family
- Needs storage for root crops over winter (approx 20 tonne capacity)
- Wants to build greenhouse for year-round production
- Single female, head of household (40something years old)
- 3 children, ages 16, 12, 8
- Works as school cleaner, makes enough money to feed family but nothing left over (food secure)
- Keeps 1 cow for milking
- Passive solar greenhouse beneficiary
- Good relationships with neighbours, especially other female heads of households
- Looking for ways to earn more income
It is 9pm as I type, and students are still in the classroom (after taking a well-deserved break for a two-hour, impromptu-round-robin basketball tournament this afternoon and reconvening at 7pm); they tell me they will be there until 10pm, but judging from how competitive this afternoon's sessions were, I would not be surprised at all if they are there until much later.
We look forward to seeing the design presentations tomorrow.
Photo: Makhabbat takes notes.
Photo: Mereut interviews the owner.
Photo: Bakhitgul ponders as Dr Beket looks on.
Photo: Ardakh discovers a brassica seedpod.